The Economist: Article Introduction


I have read the Economist for a few years because my brother recommended and my job requested.  The Economist publishes data-based reports and analysis of the week’s most important news in the United States and around the world. I like all summaries at the beginning of the magazine where I can keep myself updated what are current events globally. Since I moved to the United States, I have spent more time reading America-related articles, including government and politics. As a part of my US government class, in this blog post, I write a summary of the article I read last week and reasons why I think that article is worth reading. Moreover, you also can find more different posts written by my classmates. Just simply look at the left bar-side and choose the ones you want to read.

"Republicans in Pennsylvania ask the Supreme Court to restore their map" is published on The Economist on Jan 26th 2018, by S.M.

The story started back in 2010 when Republicans won majorities in both houses of Pennsylvania’s legislature. That victory allowed them to manage the decennial process of  Pennsylvania’s redistricting. Unsurprisingly, they redesign districts for their own benefits. Therefore, on January 22nd, Pennsylvania’s Supreme Court decided with a 4-3 vote that that redrawn map violates the state constitution. The judges gave legislators until February 9th to redraw it; otherwise, the court would do that its own.  Generally, "a state supreme court is the final arbiter of the meaning of its state law, including its constitution." However, on January 25th, discontented Republicans lawmakers filed an emergency application to the federal Supreme Court in Washington, DC. Nobody finds it clear about what results those Republicans lawmakers would be able to look for from D.C. By using the violence of Article I, section 4 of the federal constitution, or “elections clause”, those Republicans lawmakers are not pleased with the state's Supreme Court's decision. No matter what the final decisions from the federal Supreme Court in Washington, DC by the assigned Justice Samuel Alito, "it would be an extraordinary reinterpretation of the elections clause to read it as precluding state judicial oversight of legislative redistricting."

I find this article interesting and worthy to read in order to keep my political knowledge updated. Unlike in the United States, every 18 and above year old Vietnamese citizens must vote in Viet Nam. In the other word, we are forced to vote. There are no such redesigning districts to gain more votes as we have only one Party controlling the country. At my first glance at the title, I thought that they wanted to make geography map adjustment. When I read more, my curiosity grew. Why do we need to redistrict? Who can conduct this task? How can we know that the redesign job is fair for all parties when it comes to elections? If the unfairness happens, how can we deal with it? The article gives me some pieces of information. More importantly, by reading the article, I learn that state legislatures are in charge of “times, places and manner of holding elections for senators and representatives”, which is under Article I, section 4 of the federal constitution. In Vietnam, only the national government has that right. Heads of all provinces in my country (same level with states here) send in-charge people to go to each household and force us to vote so that the voting percentage must be reached approximately at more than 90% at every election. With that right stated in the Constitution, it does not mean that state legislatures can do whatever they want for their own advantages in Pennsylvania. Thanks to the 3 separated branch function, Supreme Court can involve and carry on the justice and laws. By simply reading one article, I learn one more piece of information about the United States. I believe the more I read different types of government-related topics, the more my political awareness grows, regardless what my nationality is. I will continue to read all updates about this case to know the final decisions. I think you also should start to read like I do, for your own knowledge and awareness.




Comments